Monday, April 28, 2014

Loving what you do comes 

with it's own set of issues


I love my job, I love that I get to come to work everyday and work for myself.  I love creating spaces, items and even possibilities for someone else's home.  I mean, I love creating for me and it isn't that different doing it for you.  

If I had my way a perfect week would be this
Thursday thru Sunday - Store
Monday - Day off for just me  :)
Tuesday - Day off to go junkin'
Wednesday - Day to Paint, Create, Build and Love

So you ask "What are your issues?"  

I work the store all 7 days a week.  I don't feel like I can take time off for the things I love because we have a MORTGAGE PAYMENT, and those three days I want to myself won't make me any money.  I know, I know you all think I should just hire someone to work the store.  It's not that easy, the reason that Silkweeds can turn product over, offer rewards programs, and bring in NEW inventory so often is because I work the store.  If I pay someone else to work the store, It means less money for product, less money to buy and build and create.... It means less of everything.  Yes, I would love to be back in a situation where money flowed freely, but in this economy, it is not an easy feat. I am no different than all of you.  We are watching our pennies, we are doing things differently, not because we want to but more because we have to.  When you as customers do not shop as much then we as retailers cannot buy as much product or hire as many people.  This is not something that we all complain about but it is a reality.  

We also know that with gas prices soaring and people still buying heating oil this time of year that the average person does not have the extra income to shop whenever they want.  So we have had to change with the times too.  Now there are rewards for shopping with us on a regular basis.  I am willing to give discounts to the people who think to shop with us on a regular basis, these options are all visible in the store.  We have choices of rewards, we have a large versatile selection of product and we try hard to make our customers happy.  Can we make everyone happy?  No probably not, and after 10 years I don't try to make everyone happy anymore.  What I do strive for is to offer great things at a reasonable price in an atmosphere that is relaxed and I refuse to push my customers into a purchase.  








I stand by my choices but don't think for a minute that this is easy.  Fun?  Yes, of course it is...  but not easy.  Have a great day my friends.  

Lisa @ Silkweeds

No comments:

Post a Comment