Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Times Change, Tastes Change and We have to learn to roll with that.

I have been doing this business for the last 11 1/2 years.  There are days that I am tired, and times that I wonder why I do this.  Then there are times like now....  When I look around this store and realize that i have reinvented myself and this store once again.  In those 11 years, I have changed.  So have trends and fads.  I remember when I could sell one Star or a hundred to one person.  They were literally hanging stars on every inch of their houses and barns, inside and out.  That was a fad.  It came and went in about 5 years, which in fairness is about 2 more years than most of those fads get.


Oh don't get me wrong, I can still sell a star to a primitive shopper but they don't fly out the door like they use to.  We are a primitive gift store and the newest trend in America seems to be AMERICAN MADE.  This is hopefully a way of life, not a fad or a trend.  We sell many handmade items from Curtains and linens, Jewelry, Two Made in Maine Candle Lines.  We have doll makers and seasonal items that are all created by hard working hands across America.  I have a Twig Wreath Maker, and 4 Furniture Makers.
 
 
 
 

We love our sign maker too.  Our Artisans work hard to create well designed, quality items that you can be proud to display in your home or to give as a gift.  We are always looking for new handcrafters to add to our forever growing inventory of hand made items.





A new ( or maybe not so new trend ) is Repurposing Flea Market Finds, We do our share of that also.  We will take Chairs like in this picture and repaint and repurpose them, We believe in showing New Love to Old Things so that this world is not just using up item after item to keep up with the generation that believes, Oh I don't want that anymore, so I will just throw it out and get something new.  We show you how you can still love your Old Items while making them New to you!


Check out the two hutches that we repurposed.  I truly should have posted before and after pictures so that you could have seen the remarkable difference. I am all about the repurposing aspect.  I am loving the change that can come from a coat of paint and some distressing.  There is of course a bit more to it but it seems to put me in my happy place.  I thought I could keep you posted on some of the fun things that I feel are up and coming so keep checking back and I will give you some insight to how I choose to decorate the store from season to season and why I chose the way I do.  Happy Day my friends!!!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment