Monday, March 31, 2014


DIY - Do It Yourself

This has become quite a thing.  Everyone in this economy is trying DIY projects.  Are you one of them?  Do you wish we had more items in our store that you could purchase to do your own DIY projects?  Do you need supplies for the crafts/projects that you are willing to tackle yourself.  If so, please leave a comment below on some of the things you are looking for.  

We (Silkweeds )have to make sure it would be worth it to turn valuable real estate over to a DIY emporium.  That is a slight exaggeration because we cannot turn the whole store into that but hey, I like to think big and the word emporium makes that statement.  We also cannot compete with the big box stores, so we are hoping what you need is the hard to finds... the we would love to haves...  not the what everyone else is carrying and why can't you carry them for less like the big box does.  We have answered that question a hundred times and I know that you are all smart enough to understand it, that they buy in such big quantities that their pricing is SO VERY different then what is offered to us as small business owners, and who truly wants to mimic a big box anyway.  

As a business owner, and I think I can speak for a few of us, we like creativity.  The building of displays, and the sense of style that you can show off, and lets face it the big box just doesn't have that going on.  So let's have a bit of fun and come up with really different and unique things that you can't seem to come up with for your do it yourself projects.  Here are a few pictures of some of the DIY things we like to do around here.  Furniture is my thing... it is what I LOVE to do, or should I say Re-do!

I would love to carry one of the big lines of Chalk Paint ( Annie Sloan or CeCe Caldwell), but the buy in for those companies is more than I make in a month this time of year.  So those dreams will have to wait.  We will consider a smaller line at some point but for now I am happy making my own.   You can find recipes online to make your own too.  You learn to tweak those recipes to your own liking.  What I do like about the above names are they are environmentally friendly.  What I make still uses components of latex paint.  

For the love of Rust!

I love rusty stars, bells, pins....heck I love anything rusty that I can pin, glue, attach in some way to something else.  Rusty wire seems to accent so many of our items.  Rusty tin roofs on birdhouses, rusty wings on an angel, rusty metal boxes, all great things to let your imagination spark.  

I suppose I need to go back to work, I need to get a few of my OWN projects to the finished product and out on the floor for sale.  


No comments:

Post a Comment